Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Family, Food, and More Family & Food...(My Family's Thanksgiving Traditions)

T
Picture courtesy of Google image search

When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of the Wednesday before in the kitchen helping my mama make her signature German Chocolate Cake and my signature Mac-N-Cheese. When I was younger my job was to read the recipe, keep my mama company, oh and to grease the cake pans. To this day I am the BEST cake pan greaser this side of the Mississippi, not a piece of cake has ever been left in one of my pans! ;-) I have always loved the day before a major holiday more than the holiday itself because I enjoy spending the time with my mama in the kitchen helping her cook and bonding.

I come from a large family, my granny is one of eight children and all eight of them believe in getting together for the holidays. So my granny and her seven siblings have always gathered up all their children in met in their hometown for Thanksgiving, this is a tradition that has continued on every year and every year it grows bigger and bigger, it is now so big that we have to rent a banquet hall to host our annual Thanksgiving dinner. Our dinner consists of two turkeys, two hams, three pans of dressing, a variety of sides (including my Mac-N-Cheese), and a dessert table that would rival any small bakery's selection. 

Now some people come for the food, but I love the family atmosphere of it all. I love seeing cousins that I only get to see on holidays and catching up with them. I know this seems crazy in the age of technology where you can find anyone on Facebook but it's just not the same as sitting down at a table away from the parents and sharing the juicy details. It takes us back to a time not so long ago where our biggest worries in life were what we were going to put on our Christmas list and if we were going to get it or not. Every year I cherish the moments with my great aunts and uncles, I listen to their wisdom and enjoy their stories of the simpler times of when they were growing up. I guess I'm just nostalgic like that, I like to think that I get it from my granny. 

As always my email is carkurviekulture@gmail.com. I would love to hear what your family's Thanksgiving traditions are, comment below or shoot me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment